Saturday, November 29, 2008

Divisions in the Church

November 29: 1 Corinthians 1-4

10 I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. 11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. 12 What I mean is that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” or “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
1 Corinthians 1:10-13, ESV

5 What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, as the Lord assigned to each. 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. 7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. 8 He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building.
1 Corinthians 2:5-9, ESV

Divisions in the Church

Sometimes I get so frustrated! Why must each generation relearn the same lessons over and over? Why did my children have to fall into the same pitfalls as my husband and I? Why could they not learn from our mistakes and go on from there?

The same can be said for the church. Are our churches less divisive today than they were in the time of Paul? The answer to that is quite obvious. Just look at the number of denominations that exist today--all of them claiming to preach the truth of the Bible. Sometimes I say, jokingly, that the real miracle in heaven will be that all Christians will agree!

It is easy to see why this happens; it is good to be zealous for the truth. When one church seems to be casting aside the true teachings of the Word, we must seek a more faithful church. However, we must always remember that the Lord Jesus Christ has only one church!

How I pray that, as Christians, our focus would be on serving others and reaching out to the unbelievers all around us, rather than dividing the church through our constant bickering.

How we long to be separated from our own sins which constantly war against us. How sweet heaven will be!

Pray today that God would give you a spirit of humility, patience, and love toward all those around you, believers and unbelievers alike.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: