Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yoke of Rest

October 12: Matthew 11

25 At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Matthew 11:25-30

Yoke of Rest

In our reading today we are privileged to enter into one of the many prayers of Christ, and in so doing are encouraged to enter our Lord's yoke of rest. Who are the wise and understanding in verse 25, and who are the little children?

1 Corinthians 1 gives us more insight into what Christ is saying here.

20 Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? . . . . 26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Spiritual wisdom knows no boundaries of intellect; the call of Christ is to sinners who are burdened and heavy laden with sin. Is it enough to just say, Lord I believe you are the Son of God? No, it is not! Becoming a Christian means we throw off the yoke of Satan and take on the yoke of Christ.

Christ is now our master, and we are His servants, put here with a true purpose designed by Him to advance His kingdom here on earth, and bring the repentant to Him. Just as John the Baptist was a messenger, so too, we are called to be Christ's messengers. For many people, you may be the only "Bible" that they read!

What does Christ say in Matthew 11 about His yoke?

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

There it is--the Yoke of Rest! Do you seek true joy and peace? Only through Christ will that joy and peace be yours! Go to Christ, the only Redeemer and intercessor between God and man.

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: