Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Whose Glory?

October 8: John 5

36 But the testimony that I have is greater than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to accomplish, the very works that I am doing, bear witness about me that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen, 38 and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe the one whom he has sent. 39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. 41 I do not receive glory from people. 42 But I know that you do not have the love of God within you. 43 I have come in my Father's name, and you do not receive me. If another comes in his own name, you will receive him. 44 How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
John 5:36-44

Whose Glory?

In John 5 we read the story of a lame man who was healed by Jesus on the Sabbath, bringing upon Him the wrath of the Jews.

"Jesus not only healed on the Sabbath, but He considered Himself equal with God; surely that must be blasphemy," they thought.

Christ was right before their eyes, prophecy foretold of His coming, and He performed miracles that no one but God could perform, and yet they refused to accept Him. In response, Jesus launched into an exposition of who He is.

39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

The Pharisees searched the Scriptures, but never came to the knowledge of the truth; they sought the glory of the people, by their "righteous" obedience to the law, especially as they interpreted that very law. Christ never came to bring glory to Himself, but rather He came to glorify the Father.

He asked the Jews, How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?

Whose glory do we seek? What is our true purpose in this life? Are we like the Pharisees in that we seek to obey the letter of the law without obeying the Christ who fulfills that law?

These are important questions to consider as we go about our daily activities.

Whose glory do you seek?

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: