Tuesday, September 02, 2008

When God is Not God!

September 2: Ezekiel 20-21

1 In the seventh year, in the fifth month, on the tenth day of the month, certain of the elders of Israel came to inquire of the Lord, and sat before me. 2 And the word of the Lord came to me: 3 “Son of man, speak to the elders of Israel, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God, Is it to inquire of me that you come? As I live, declares the Lord God, I will not be inquired of by you. 4 Will you judge them, son of man, will you judge them? Let them know the abominations of their fathers, 5 and say to them, Thus says the Lord God: On the day when I chose Israel, I swore to the offspring of the house of Jacob, making myself known to them in the land of Egypt; I swore to them, saying, I am the Lord your God. 6 On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out of the land of Egypt into a land that I had searched out for them, a land flowing with milk and honey, the most glorious of all lands. 7 And I said to them, Cast away the detestable things your eyes feast on, every one of you, and do not defile yourselves with the idols of Egypt; I am the Lord your God. 8 But they rebelled against me and were not willing to listen to me. None of them cast away the detestable things their eyes feasted on, nor did they forsake the idols of Egypt.

30 “Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord God: Will you defile yourselves after the manner of your fathers and go whoring after their detestable things? 31 When you present your gifts and offer up your children in fire, you defile yourselves with all your idols to this day. And shall I be inquired of by you, O house of Israel? As I live, declares the Lord God, I will not be inquired of by you.
Ezekiel 20:1-8 & 30-31

When God is Not God!

Do you ever wonder why the leaders of Judah even bothered to inquire of the Lord? Even when they were told the will of God in the past, did they ever listen? Did they ever obey? That is exactly the point that God is making in Ezekiel 20.

After recounting their past history when God showed mercy upon them again and again, He finally states, "I will not be inquired of by you!" Those are words you never want to hear.

Is not God a merciful and long suffering God? Does there really ever come a time when God will no longer listen to our prayers and pleas for mercy? Yes! What a sobering thought! We can so weary God with our continual rebellion against His Law that the time will come when our inquiries fall upon deaf ears. Do not presume upon God; do not believe that you can live in whatever manner you choose, because when you finally decide to follow God He will still be there.

It was too late for Judah! Their repeated abominations had so angered God that judgment against Judah would come, just as it had against the northern tribes of Israel.

Is there then no hope? When God reaches that point are we doomed forever?

In the case of Judah, this judgment would come to an end; the day would come when God would return the people to their own land.

33 “As I live, declares the Lord God, surely with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm and with wrath poured out I will be king over you. 34 I will bring you out from the peoples and gather you out of the countries where you are scattered, with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, and with wrath poured out. 35 And I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there I will enter into judgment with you face to face. 36 As I entered into judgment with your fathers in the wilderness of the land of Egypt, so I will enter into judgment with you, declares the Lord God. 37 I will make you pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant. 38 I will purge out the rebels from among you, and those who transgress against me. I will bring them out of the land where they sojourn, but they shall not enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Lord.
Ezekiel 20:33-38

Yes, God would return them to the land; however, not until all had been judged and the wicked had been purged out from among them. Will their be any wicked in Heaven? Does God make mistakes in His judgments? No and no! There will be no wicked in heaven and God's judgments are perfect. We may be able to bribe or fool earthly judges, but the God of Heaven will not be bought nor deceived.

So, you see, the time comes for the wicked when God is not God! When the wicked are cast into eternal darkness and suffering, the greatest suffering of all will be the total absence of God!

"Seek the LORD while he may be found; call upon him while he is near."
Isaiah 55:6

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: