Sunday, September 07, 2008

The Valley of Dry Bones

September 7: Ezekiel 35-37

1 The hand of the Lord was upon me, and he brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord and set me down in the middle of the valley; it was full of bones. 2 And he led me around among them, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley, and behold, they were very dry. 3 And he said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?” And I answered, “O Lord God, you know.” 4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy over these bones, and say to them, O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. 5 Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. 6 And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live, and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

7 So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I prophesied, there was a sound, and behold, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. 8 And I looked, and behold, there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them. But there was no breath in them. 9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live.” 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army.
Ezekiel 37:1-10

The Valley of Dry Bones

In our reading today, the Spirit of God brought Ezekiel out and set him in the middle of the valley of dry bones. As they walked among the dry bones, the Spirit asked Ezekiel, Can these bones live?

Ezekiel answered, O Lord God, you know.

God then told Ezekiel to prophesy over the bones and tell them that God would make them live; then, as Ezekiel watched the bones came together, sinews and flesh appeared upon the bones, and the wind blew upon them so that they were restored to life.

What was the purpose of this vision, and what did it mean? Remember this occurred at a time of great despondency for the Jews; most of their people had been carried off to Babylon, leaving very few to take care of a ruined land.

This vision was meant to encourage the Jews, showing them that only God could bring bones back to life. Just as the bones lived, so God would restore the Jews to their land as He promised.

In addition to this, this vision represents the power of God who by His grace takes poor, lost, dead sinners and breathes into them the breath of eternal life. This same God continues to take the dry bones of our sinful lives and through the blood of Christ, grants us new life in Him.

As you think about the valley of dry bones today, look to God who alone can grant the resurrection from the dead to a life eternal with Him. What a great and glorious God we have!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

1 comment:

El-Shaddai-dad said...

How wonderful are ewes:

Kindly dew visit and see how near unto thee are.

Blessings of the Ages, LoL, KoK