Friday, September 05, 2008

Then They Will Know!

September 5: Ezekiel 28-31

“Behold, I am against you, O Sidon,
and I will manifest my glory in your midst.
And they shall know that I am the Lord
when I execute judgments in her
and manifest my holiness in her;
23 for I will send pestilence into her,
and blood into her streets;
and the slain shall fall in her midst,
by the sword that is against her on every side.
Then they will know that I am the Lord.

24 “And for the house of Israel there shall be no more a brier to prick or a thorn to hurt them among all their neighbors who have treated them with contempt. Then they will know that I am the Lord God.

25 “Thus says the Lord God: When I gather the house of Israel from the peoples among whom they are scattered, and manifest my holiness in them in the sight of the nations, then they shall dwell in their own land that I gave to my servant Jacob. 26 And they shall dwell securely in it, and they shall build houses and plant vineyards. They shall dwell securely, when I execute judgments upon all their neighbors who have treated them with contempt. Then they will know that I am the Lord their God.”
Ezekiel 28:22b-26

Because you have been a staff of reed to the house of Israel, 7 when they grasped you with the hand, you broke and tore all their shoulders; and when they leaned on you, you broke and made all their loins to shake. 8 Therefore thus says the Lord God: Behold, I will bring a sword upon you, and will cut off from you man and beast, 9 and the land of Egypt shall be a desolation and a waste. Then they will know that I am the Lord.
Ezekiel 29:6b-9

Then They Will Know!

Sometimes it is good to take a few steps back and look at the bigger picture; that is what I did with today's Bible reading. As I was reading through today's Bible passage and contemplating this what I would write for this devotional, this phrase kept reappearing: Then they will know that I am the Lord. I counted that phrase 11 times in Ezekiel 28, 29, & 30!

Sometimes it takes 11 times (or even more) before we finally realize, Hey, I have heard that before! We are in a section of Ezekiel in which God is speaking against nation after nation--as a matter of fact, He is speaking against all of the nations who have set themselves against His chosen people. As destruction after destruction is prophesied, and lament after lament is spoken, God says, Then they will know that I am the Lord!

Do you realize that the time will come when everyone will not only know that God is the Lord, but they will also bow before Him and show honor to Him? Do you really think that anything happens in our world today apart from the knowledge and will of God?

We are deep in the middle of national elections here in the United States; the future is very uncertain to us. But, God already knows who will win the election, and He already knows what part the United States will or will not hold in the future of this world. He planned it all! From the beginning until the end of time, everything that God has planned will come to pass.

And what of mankind? When the end of time comes we can say with certainty, Then they will know!

Just as we see prophecy after prophecy fulfilled in our world today, so we know with certainty that God is God and that everything He has planned will certainly come to pass. And then what will God say?

Then they will know that I am the Lord!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: