Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I Sought for a Man

September 3: Ezekiel 22-23

1 And the word of the Lord came to me, saying, 2 “And you, son of man, will you judge, will you judge the bloody city? Then declare to her all her abominations. 3 You shall say, Thus says the Lord God: A city that sheds blood in her midst, so that her time may come, and that makes idols to defile herself! 4 You have become guilty by the blood that you have shed, and defiled by the idols that you have made, and you have brought your days near, the appointed time of your years has come. Therefore I have made you a reproach to the nations, and a mockery to all the countries. 5 Those who are near and those who are far from you will mock you; your name is defiled; you are full of tumult.

13 “Behold, I strike my hand at the dishonest gain that you have made, and at the blood that has been in your midst. 14 Can your courage endure, or can your hands be strong, in the days that I shall deal with you? I the Lord have spoken, and I will do it. 15 I will scatter you among the nations and disperse you through the countries, and I will consume your uncleanness out of you. 16 And you shall be profaned by your own doing in the sight of the nations, and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

30 And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none.
Ezekiel 22:1-5, 13-16 & 30

I Sought for a Man

You have heard the saying, "Nothing lasts forever." In our world, that is certainly true, just as first Israel and then Judah discovered, as recorded in today's Bible reading. God proclaimed the following to Ezekiel,

You have become guilty by the blood that you have shed, and defiled by the idols that you have made, and you have brought your days near, the appointed time of your years has come.

Notice the word appointed. Was Judah concerned about an appointed time of judgment in the middle of their seeking after sin and pleasure? What do we see in the world around us today? Is this world concerned at all about a future appointed time of judgment? Do they even believe that such a time will come?

When that time of judgment comes, what can man do to protect himself?

Can your courage endure, or can your hands be strong, in the days that I shall deal with you? I the Lord have spoken, and I will do it.

Was God unjust? What about the righteous among the children of Israel? That is perhaps the saddest note of all. What does God say in verse 30 of chapter 22?

And I sought for a man among them who should build up the wall and stand in the breach before me for the land, that I should not destroy it, but I found none.

The world is moving one direction only--as far away from God as possible. It is not easy to "buck the system;" it is not easy to swim against the current. Even hurricane Gustav, pounding against the state of Louisiana and forcing its raging winds against the Mississippi River current, cannot hold back the water for long.

Ah--but we serve a strong and powerful God with whom nothing is impossible. Go to Him; cry out to Him for strength to be a bright shining beacon of hope and light in a world consumed with darkness.

God said, I sought for a man but found none! Will He find you?

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: