Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Quietly Wait for Trouble

August 20: Habakkuk 1-3

2 O Lord, how long shall I cry for help,
and you will not hear?
Or cry to you “Violence!”
and you will not save?

You who are of purer eyes than to see evil
and cannot look at wrong,
why do you idly look at traitors
and remain silent when the wicked swallows up
the man more righteous than he?
Habakkuk 1:2

16 I hear, and my body trembles;
my lips quiver at the sound;
rottenness enters into my bones;
my legs tremble beneath me.
Yet I will quietly wait for the day of trouble
to come upon people who invade us.

17 Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
19 God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on my high places.
Habakkuk 3:16-19

Quietly Wait for Trouble

Habakkuk begins this book with two complaints against God. First, he asked why God did not answer his prayers for help, and second, he asked why God would use a wicked nation to swallow up a more righteous nation. God explains to Habakkuk that though He may use a wicked nation to punish the righteous, the end of that wicked nation will be total destruction.

Now we understand a little more clearly why Habakkuk could quietly wait for trouble. What a rich testimony of faith is found in chapter 3, verses 17-19. How is your faith? It is easy to trust in the Lord when everything is going well, but what happens when trouble comes? When our fig tree does not blossom, all of our crops fail, and all of our livestock dies, can we say with Habakkuk,

Yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation
.


Now that is true faith! Read through Habakkuk 3:17-19 once more and ponder these verses as you go about this day. May God, the Lord, be your strength as you quietly wait for trouble.

17 Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
19 God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on my high places
.


God Bless You,
Linda

All Scripture is from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: