Monday, August 25, 2008

New Every Morning!

August 25: Lamentations 1:1-3:36

Judah has gone into exile because of affliction
and hard servitude;
she dwells now among the nations,
but finds no resting place;
her pursuers have all overtaken her
in the midst of her distress.
Lamentations 1:3

19 Remember my affliction and my wanderings,
the wormwood and the gall!
20 My soul continually remembers it
and is bowed down within me.
21 But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:

22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”

25 The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul who seeks him.
26 It is good that one should wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
Lamentations 3:19-26

New Every Morning

In Lamentations we begin to understand why Jeremiah is often called the weeping prophet. In chapter 1, verse 16, he says,

“For these things I weep;
my eyes flow with tears;
for a comforter is far from me,
one to revive my spirit;
my children are desolate,
for the enemy has prevailed.”

Judah had gone into exile among the nations, but for her there was no resting place. Yet in the middle of Jeremiah's tears, he did not forget the faithfulness of the Lord.

How easy is that? What happens to us in the middle of great affliction? Do we remember God's faithfulness to us, or do we rail against the affliction that has come upon us and rail against God who did not prevent it?

Lamentations 3:22 reminds us, The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. Some Hebrew texts translate this sentence, Because of the steadfast love of the Lord, we are not cut off.

Judah was captured, but not cut off. Christians can be influenced by the devil and his angels, but they cannot be overcome by them. In recognition of this, Jeremiah penned these words in Lamentations 3, made more familiar by the song, "Great is Thy Faithfulness,"

22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“therefore I will hope in him.”


Is the Lord your portion? Do you hope in Him? If so, then you will truly understand these verses of hope and truth.

25 The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul who seeks him.
26 It is good that one should wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord
.


Now is the time to seek the Lord; Isaiah said in chapter 55, verse 6, "Seek the LORD while he may be found;call upon him while he is near."

Great is Your faithfulness, Oh Lord God!

Amen, so shall it be!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: