Friday, August 15, 2008

In Your Heart

August 15: Jeremiah 30-31

31 “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
Jeremiah 31:31-34

In Your Heart

In our passage today, God is again speaking of the judgment against Israel and Judah due to their sins, and then a time of peace when He will restore them again to a time of renewed fellowship with Him. God makes a very interesting statement in verse 33.

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

What does this mean? God says that He will put His law within them and write it on their hearts. Where do we get our conscience? How do we inwardly know that murder is wrong? Is their a law above all of the laws of the lands?

Though this passage is written to Israel and Judah, there is still a corollary to all people today. God has written His law in your heart! Unlike the animals around you, God has given you a conscience so that you would innately know right from wrong.

Therefore, we must think carefully about the laws of our countries! Anything can be made into a law, but does that mean the laws of the land can over rule God's law written on our hearts? More specifically, does that mean that the laws of the land can over rule the direct commandments God has given to all people in His Word?

Unfortunately, through sin, we can dull that law that is written in our hearts, until it is pushed so far back that we do not even feel our conscience. That is exactly where Israel and Judah found themselves!

God is a merciful God, ready to forgive a truly humble heart. Go to Christ, cry out to Him for forgiveness, for He has paid the debt of sin. Pray, too, that your life as a Christian would be totally dedicated to the Lord, and that your conscience would not be hindered by continued sin in your life.

What is in your heart?

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: