Thursday, August 07, 2008

Appointed!

August 7: Jeremiah 1-3

4 Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying,
5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,

and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

6 Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” 7 But the Lord said to me,

“Do not say, ‘I am only a youth’;
for to all to whom I send you, you shall go,
and whatever I command you, you shall speak.
8 Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you,
declares the Lord.”

9 Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth. And the Lord said to me,

“Behold, I have put my words in your mouth.
10 See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to break down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant.”
Jeremiah 1:4-10

Appointed!

Jeremiah, the prophet known for his great laments over the sin of Judah, prophesied from the time of the rule of Josiah into the time of the captivity of Judah. In the first part of Jeremiah, chapter 1, we witness the calling of Jeremiah as a prophet.

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

As children of God, is our calling any less important than that of Jeremiah? God does not put us here to be idle or to envelope ourselves with the ways of the world; our calling is to serve Him every moment of every day for the rest of our lives.

I am amused with Jeremiah in verse 6, Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” It reminds me of Moses when God called him to go back to Egypt. However, when I think about Jeremiah and Moses feeling so unworthy, I realize that I am just like them! Excuses quickly come to mind when opportunities of service present themselves.

We may not have been called into full time Christian service, but does that mean that our service for Christ is any less important? Look at the following passage from 1 Corinthians 12.

12For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.

21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." 22On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, 25that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

So, there it is! We are appointed by God from before time began to fulfill a specific purpose for Him. With that in mind, He equips us with everything necessary to enable us to perform that specific duty.

Does God forget His children? Do you feel as though He has forgotten you?

No, He never forgets His children, but rather has appointed each and every one to do a specific task for Him.

Go! Serve Him joyfully this day, knowing He has a special place just for you that no one else can fulfill.

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: