Sunday, July 27, 2008

No Peace!

July 27: Isaiah 44-48

6 Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel

and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
“I am the first and I am the last;
besides me there is no god.
7 Who is like me? Let him proclaim it.
Let him declare and set it before me,
since I appointed an ancient people.
Let them declare what is to come, and what will happen.
8 Fear not, nor be afraid;
have I not told you from of old and declared it?
And you are my witnesses!
Is there a God besides me?
There is no Rock; I know not any.”
Isaiah 44:6-8

12 “Listen to me, O Jacob,
and Israel, whom I called!
I am he; I am the first,
and I am the last.
13 My hand laid the foundation of the earth,
and my right hand spread out the heavens;
when I call to them,
they stand forth together.

17 Thus says the Lord,
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you to profit,
who leads you in the way you should go.
18 Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments!
Then your peace would have been like a river,
and your righteousness like the waves of the sea;
19 your offspring would have been like the sand,
and your descendants like its grains;
their name would never be cut off
or destroyed from before me.”

22 “There is no peace,” says the Lord, “for the wicked.”
Isaiah 48:12-13, 17-19 & 22

No Peace!

Peace is a popular topic in the news today--peace between countries and ultimately world peace. The only problem is that world peace will never be attained before Christ comes back.

Look at Isaiah 48:18, Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river. Now look at verse 22, “There is no peace,” says the Lord, “for the wicked.” There are the two contrasts: peace for the righteous, but no peace for the wicked.

That is a pretty blatant statement to make, but look who is making it.

I am he; I am the first,
and I am the last.
My hand laid the foundation of the earth,
and my right hand spread out the heavens;
when I call to them,
they stand forth together
.


Thus says the Lord,
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the Lord your God,
who teaches you to profit,
who leads you in the way you should go
.


Only in Christ do we have true peace; as we rest upon our great Creator who, alone, controls all things, we have complete peace that, as His children, we are always in His care.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

The wicked have no peace, but to the righteous we can sing with the song writer,

"I've got peace like a river in my soul!"

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: