Monday, July 14, 2008

Micah

July 14: Micah 1-7

6 In that day, declares the Lord,
I will assemble the lame
and gather those who have been driven away
and those whom I have afflicted;
7 and the lame I will make the remnant,
and those who were cast off, a strong nation;
and the Lord will reign over them in Mount Zion
from this time forth and forevermore.
Micah 4:6-7

2 But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah,
who are too little to be among the clans of Judah,
from you shall come forth for me
one who is to be ruler in Israel,
whose coming forth is from of old,
from ancient days.
Micah 5:2

6 “With what shall I come before the Lord,
and bow myself before God on high?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?
7 Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousands of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?”
8 He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?
Micah 6:6-8

18 Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity
and passing over transgression
for the remnant of his inheritance?
He does not retain his anger forever,
because he delights in steadfast love.
19 He will again have compassion on us;
he will tread our iniquities underfoot.
You will cast all our sins
into the depths of the sea.
20 You will show faithfulness to Jacob
and steadfast love to Abraham,
as you have sworn to our fathers
from the days of old.
Micah 7:18-20

Micah

The book of Micah, a contemporary of Isaiah, is filled with rich nuggets from the Lord. The book is filled with curses against the sins of Israel and Judah, but then tempered with the promises of blessings to come. In no uncertain terms, we are pointed to Christ who alone will grant us peace and cast our sins into the deepest sea.

Over and again the Word of God reminds us that God does not need the strong and powerful of the world to accomplish his deeds. Instead He uses the lame, and those who have been afflicted, who come humbly before Him to do His will. Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians,

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9, King James Version

As in Isaiah, Micah prophesies of the coming of the Messiah who will be born in Bethlehem, as well as the blessing of the Lord upon all people in the latter days. In the middle of these prophecies, Micah reminds us of our true duty as Christians.

He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?

Micah 6:8

I end this devotion with some of the most powerful words ever written--words which I often use as a prayer.

18 Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity
and passing over transgression
for the remnant of his inheritance?
He does not retain his anger forever,
because he delights in steadfast love.
19 He will again have compassion on us;
he will tread our iniquities underfoot.
You will cast all our sins
into the depths of the sea.
20 You will show faithfulness to Jacob
and steadfast love to Abraham,
as you have sworn to our fathers
from the days of old
.

Micah 7:18-20

Amen! So shall it be!

God Bless You,
Linda

Unless otherwise noted, all Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: