Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Sum of Your Word

June 1: Psalm 119:89-176

96 I have seen a limit to all perfection,
but your commandment is exceedingly broad.

104 Through your precepts I get understanding;
therefore I hate every false way.

112 I incline my heart to perform your statutes
forever, to the end.

120 My flesh trembles for fear of you,
and I am afraid of your judgments.

128 Therefore I consider all your precepts to be right;
I hate every false way.

136 My eyes shed streams of tears,
because people do not keep your law.

144 Your testimonies are righteous forever;
give me understanding that I may live.

152 Long have I known from your testimonies
that you have founded them forever.

160 The sum of your word is truth,
and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.

168 I keep your precepts and testimonies,
for all my ways are before you.

176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant,
for I do not forget your commandments.
from Psalm 119

The Sum of Your Word

Two days ago, when we read the first half of this incredible Psalm, I included the first two lines of every 8 verse octet. Today, I have included the last two lines of each octet, which give the summary of each section, or as the Psalmist put it, The Sum of Your Word.

What particular summations did David give in these verses?

* There is a limit to perfection, but not in the perfection of God's Word.
* Understanding comes from the Word; it keeps us from falsehood.
* We can safely incline our hearts to God's eternal Word.
* The Word teaches us to tremble before God and fear His judgments.
* Every precept of God's Word is right, causing us to hate what is false.
* Understanding the Word brings us compassion toward unbelievers.
* The Word is righteous forever; we must go to God to get understanding.
* God's testimonies teach us that this Word will last forever!
* The sum of your Word is truth, which endures forever.
* God, alone, sees everything and is the One to whom we must give account.
* When we go astray from God's Word, we must cry out to Him to bring us back.

What an impressive list! Is there any doubt that it is so important for us to be continually reading and studying God's Word? How can we live faithfully before God without the "food" of His Word giving us strength and understanding for each day.

God's Word is eternal, it gives us compassion toward the ungodly, it keeps us from sin, it is true, and it teaches us who God is and what our true position is before Him. This quickly sheds the crutches of all the things we use, for security in this life, which have no effect on what happens to us in eternity.

Daniel could not live without bowing before God three times a day to pray and fellowship with Him, David could not live without understanding God and His Word, and Solomon could not live without wisdom granted to him by God.

How, then, can we live victoriously as Christians without an understanding of God's Word and a life of continual fellowship with God?

Pray to God and ask Him to give you an understanding of The Sum of Your Word.

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: