Sunday, June 22, 2008

Oracle of Agur

June 22: Proverbs 30-31

1 The words of Agur son of Jakeh. The oracle.

The man declares, I am weary, O God;
I am weary, O God, and worn out.
2 Surely I am too stupid to be a man.
I have not the understanding of a man.
3 I have not learned wisdom,
nor have I knowledge of the Holy One.
4 Who has ascended to heaven and come down?
Who has gathered the wind in his fists?
Who has wrapped up the waters in a garment?
Who has established all the ends of the earth?
What is his name, and what is his son's name?
Surely you know!

5 Every word of God proves true;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
6 Do not add to his words,
lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

7 Two things I ask of you;
deny them not to me before I die:
8 Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
9 lest I be full and deny you
and say, “Who is the Lord?”or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God.
Proverbs 30:1-9

Oracle of Agur

I am concentrating today's devotion on Proverbs 30; I have already written a devotion on Proverbs 31, called What is a Virtuous Woman? which appears on my website. I encourage you to read that devotion as well.

Proverbs 11 was written by Agur, who was certainly a man of great humility! As I read verses 1-3 I thought, "This is a person I can really identify with." It seems that the older I get, and the closer I get to the Lord, the more I see my own sin and unworthiness, and the more I become weary of life!

Yet, look at what this man who is, "too stupid to be a man" declares in Proverbs 30. His words are neither stupid nor do they show a lack of wisdom!

I think that Proverbs 31:7-9 are some of the most wise and provocative words in the Bible.

7 Two things I ask of you;
deny them not to me before I die:
8 Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
9 lest I be full and deny you
and say, “Who is the Lord?”or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God
.


Unfortunately, we do not often find ourselves praying such a prayer; we do not want to be satisfied with just having enough. We certainly do not want poverty, but neither do we want to be satisfied with having just barely enough to get by.

We look at the rich and say, "I want to be like that person." Was it a sin for Solomon to be rich? No, God proclaimed Solomon's riches to be a blessing as a gift from Him. Solomon's downfall did not come because he was rich or because he was wise. Solomon's downfall came because his heart was turned away from the Lord.

That is exactly what Agur is addressing; he is saying, "Please, Lord, do not give anything to me that would tempt my heart to turn away from you."

Take the time and read the entire Oracle of Agur found in Proverbs 31, and then pray that God would give you a heart for Him, and that nothing would come your way that would tear your heart away from God.

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: