Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Son!

June 10: Proverbs 22-24

6 Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

15 My son, if your heart is wise,
my heart too will be glad.

19 Hear, my son, and be wise,
and direct your heart in the way.

22 Listen to your father who gave you life,
and do not despise your mother when she is old.

26 My son, give me your heart,
and let your eyes observe my ways.
Proverbs 23:15, 19, 22, & 26

13 My son, eat honey, for it is good,
and the drippings of the honeycomb are sweet to your taste.
14 Know that wisdom is such to your soul;
if you find it, there will be a future,
and your hope will not be cut off.

21 My son, fear the Lord and the king,
and do not join with those who do otherwise,
22 for disaster will arise suddenly from them,
and who knows the ruin that will come from them both?
Proverbs 24:13-14 & 21-22

My Son

One of the difficulties of writing devotions chronologically is that you come to books, such as Proverbs with so much practical advice that you could write a devotion for each and every verse. Sometimes the writer seems to carry a specific thought through several verses, and sometimes each verse seems totally unrelated to the ones before and after it.

I noted the phrase, "My Son" appearing several times throughout today's reading, so thought we would focus on those verses.

Most of us are familiar with that familiar verse found in Proverbs 22:6.

Train up a child in the way he should go;
even when he is old he will not depart from it
.


How we cling to it when we see our children begin to deviate from the Lord. As a father or mother, we certainly understand the verses shown above. What, really, do we want for our children? Are we concerned that they marry well, and live with great financial success? These are not bad things, but are they what are most important? What do we most desire for our children? Look how Solomon answered these questions.

*If your heart is wise, my heart too will be glad.
*Hear, my son, and be wise, and direct your heart in the way.
*Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.
*My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways.
*Know that wisdom is such [like the sweetness of honey] to your soul; if you find it, there will be a future, and your hope will not be cut off.
*My son, fear the Lord and the king, and do not join with those who do otherwise.

What kind of a father, mother, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, teacher, pastor, spiritual mentor, etc. are you for the children in your life? Pray today that you may echo the same sentiments as did Solomon when he addressed, "My Son."

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: