Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Finds Wisdom

June 3: Proverbs 1-3


7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
fools despise wisdom and instruction.

24 Because I have called and you refused to listen,
have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded,
25 because you have ignored all my counsel
and would have none of my reproof . . .
28 Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer;
they will seek me diligently but will not find me.
Proverbs 1:7, 24-25 & 28

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
7 Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
8 It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.

13 Blessed is the one who finds wisdom,
and the one who gets understanding,
14 for the gain from her is better than gain from silver
and her profit better than gold.
Proverbs 3:5-8 & 13-14

Finds Wisdom

As we begin the time of the rule of Solomon over Israel, we have already learned of his unsurpassed wisdom. Think of it; God has proclaimed that Solomon would be the wisest man who would ever live. Think of how wonderful it would be to sit as his feet and learn wisdom.

But Wait! We can already do that! Just open your Bible to the book of Proverbs and begin reading; it is filled with the pearls of wisdom that God gave to Solomon.

Just look at some of the statements Solomon made in our reading today.

* The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
* Trust in the Lord with all you heart.
* Do not lean upon your own understanding.
* Acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will make your paths straight.
* When we fear the Lord and turn away from evil, it is healing to our flesh and refreshment to our bones.
* The gain from wisdom is better than the gain from silver.
* The profit from wisdom is better than gold.

What if we do not heed these words of God voiced through the hand of Solomon? I think that one of the most chilling verses in the entire Bible is found in Proverbs 1:28.

Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me.

What happens when you reach the time that God no longer hears? Will your family, your friends, your career, those under you, or your wealth be able to save you? If you lose everything on this earth, where will you turn?

Solomon, the wisest man to ever have lived, points us to Christ; when one turns to the Lord, one finds wisdom, and gains eternal life with God.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
Revelation 22:20, King James Version

God Bless You,
Linda

Unless otherwise noted, all Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: