Friday, May 30, 2008

Your Word

May 30: Psalm 119:1-88

1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the Lord!

9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.

17 Deal bountifully with your servant,
that I may live and keep your word.

25 My soul clings to the dust;
give me life according to your word!

33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes;
and I will keep it to the end.

41 Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord,
your salvation according to your promise;

49 Remember your word to your servant,
in which you have made me hope.

57 The Lord is my portion;
I promise to keep your words.

65 You have dealt well with your servant,
O Lord, according to your word.

73 Your hands have made and fashioned me;
give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.

81 My soul longs for your salvation;
I hope in your word.
from Psalm 119

Your Word

On my web site, Devotional Reflections from the Bible, I have an entire section of 22 devotions from Psalm 119. I encourage you to take the time to read these devotions so that you will be able to meditate in greater depth on this wonderful Psalm of David.

The following is a quote from my Psalm 119 entry page.

This Psalm has been called The Christians' golden ABC of the praise, love, power, and use of the Word of God. Spurgeon, in his Treasury of David said, "It deals all along with one subject only, but although it consists of a considerable number of verses, some of which are very similar to others, yet throughout its one hundred and seventy-six stanzas the self-same thought is not repeated."

The verses shown above are the first verses of each of the first 11 octets, which all begin with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Take a moment and count the number of times, Your Word, is recorded in the verses shown above. Seven of the eleven octets have Your Word(s), and the other four have variations:

Law of the Lord (verse 1)
Your Statutes (verse 33)
Your Promise (verse 41)
Your Commandments (verse 73)

It is obvious when reading the verses recorded above, that David viewed the Word of God as indispensable. As a matter of fact, the only way to guard one's life from sin was by God's Word.

9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word
.


All of David's faith and understanding came from a knowledge of and trust in God's Word.

81 My soul longs for your salvation;
I hope in your word
.


What does that tell us about the way we should view the Word of God? Is it indispensable in our lives, just as it was in David's? Do we hunger for God's Word and long for our salvation? Or, are we too busy to even take the time to read and meditate on the Bible? Really, what could be more important?

Pray to God that He would help you to establish and keep a daily time of prayer and meditation on God's Word.

33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!

34 “For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who has been his counselor?”
35 “Or who has given a gift to him
that he might be repaid?”

36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
Hebrews 11:33-36

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: