Monday, May 26, 2008

You Hem Me In

May 26: Psalm 131, 138-139, & 143-145

But I have calmed and quieted my soul.
Psalm 131:2a

The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me;
your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.
Do not forsake the work of your hands.
Psalm 138:8

4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
5 You hem me in, behind and before,
and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.
Psalm 139:4-6 & 17-18

I stretch out my hands to you;
my soul thirsts for you like a parched land.
Psalm 143:6

Blessed are the people to whom such blessings fall!
Blessed are the people whose God is the Lord!
Psalm 144:15

14 The Lord upholds all who are falling
and raises up all who are bowed down.
15 The eyes of all look to you,
and you give them their food in due season.
16 You open your hand;
you satisfy the desire of every living thing.
17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways
and kind in all his works.
18 The Lord is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth.
Psalm 145:14-18

You Hem Me In

When we think of the phrase, you hem me in, we usually think of it in a negative connotation. But when David used this expression regarding God, what was his reaction?

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
it is high; I cannot attain it
.


Often we are like a toddler who is ready to run and discover his surroundings; for his safety we put him in a playpen or use a gate at the door. Does he like it? Usually it takes quite a few crying spells before he finally accepts his "hemmed-in" state.

Take the time to read the verses printed above; better yet, get your Bible out and read all of the chapters assigned for today's reading. We just think we control our own lives and our own destinies!

David knew better; rather than complaining, he was filled with praise and thanksgiving. David longed for God.

My soul thirsts for you like a parched land.

Reread the words above from Psalm 145.

14 The Lord upholds all who are falling
and raises up all who are bowed down.
15 The eyes of all look to you,
and you give them their food in due season.
16 You open your hand;
you satisfy the desire of every living thing.
17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways
and kind in all his works.
18 The Lord is near to all who call on him,
to all who call on him in truth
.


Meditate on that today and as you go about your daily activities, and take some time to praise God and say in praise and awe, You hem me in.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: