Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thirst for God

May 20: Psalms 5, 38, & 41-42

11 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
let them ever sing for joy,
and spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may exult in you.
12 For you bless the righteous, O Lord;
you cover him with favor as with a shield.
Psalm 5:11-12

15 But for you, O Lord, do I wait;
it is you, O Lord my God, who will answer.
16 For I said, “Only let them not rejoice over me,
who boast against me when my foot slips!”
17 For I am ready to fall,

and my pain is ever before me.
18 I confess my iniquity;
I am sorry for my sin.
Psalm 38:15-17

1 As a deer pants for flowing streams,
so pants my soul for you, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God.
Psalm 42:1-2

11 By this I know that you delight in me:
my enemy will not shout in triumph over me.
12 But you have upheld me because of my integrity,
and set me in your presence forever.
13 Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,

from everlasting to everlasting!
Amen and Amen.
Psalm 41:11-13

Thirst for God

We have just witnessed, in yesterday's reading, David at perhaps one of the worst times of his life. Again we see his character shine through when we read these Psalms today. Read Psalm 42:1-2 again.

As a deer pants for flowing streams,
so pants my soul for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God,
for the living God
.


Never, no matter how bad things were for David, did he forget his true source of strength and delight. He witnessed friends and family warring against him, seeking his death; He knew that only God remained faithful to Him.

It is so easy for us to trust in the things around us--the tangible things we can see, feel, and touch. And, what of our friends--sometimes our friends mean more to us than even our family. They would never fail us, would they?

Notice, that when David's life was comfortable, he fell into sin, even to the point of murder. But, what happens when David's life is filled with grief and his life is continually in danger? He turns to God!

God has a specific purpose for our life, and often times that purpose has nothing to do with what we think is our true purpose. God is jealous for His children, and will not let Satan snatch them away. Many times he sends sickness, money problems, and even disloyalty from friends and family to turn us to Him.

Pray today that like David, you, too, will have a thirst for God!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: