Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rescue Me!

May 29: 1 Kings 1-2 & Psalms 37, 71, & 94

1 Now King David was old and advanced in years.

5 Now Adonijah the son of Haggith exalted himself, saying, “I will be king.”
And he prepared for himself chariots and horsemen, and fifty men to run before him.

7 He conferred with Joab the son of Zeruiah and with Abiathar the priest. And they followed Adonijah and helped him.

29 And the king swore, saying, “As the Lord lives, who has redeemed my soul out of every adversity, 30 as I swore to you by the Lord, the God of Israel, saying, ‘Solomon your son shall reign after me, and he shall sit on my throne in my place,’ even so will I do this day.”
1 Kings 1:1, 5, 7 & 29-30

5 “Moreover, you also know what Joab the son of Zeruiah did to me, how he dealt with the two commanders of the armies of Israel, Abner the son of Ner, and Amasa the son of Jether, whom he killed, avenging in time of peace for blood that had been shed in war, and putting the blood of war on the belt around his waist and on the sandals on his feet. 6 Act therefore according to your wisdom, but do not let his gray head go down to Sheol in peace.

8 And there is also with you Shimei the son of Gera, the Benjaminite from Bahurim, who cursed me with a grievous curse on the day when I went to Mahanaim. . . . 9 Now therefore do not hold him guiltless, for you are a wise man. You will know what you ought to do to him, and you shall bring his gray head down with blood to Sheol.”
1 Kings 2:5-6 & 8-9

37 Mark the blameless and behold the upright,
for there is a future for the man of peace.
38 But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed;
the future of the wicked shall be cut off.
Psalm 37:37-38

4 Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked,
from the grasp of the unjust and cruel man.
5 For you, O Lord, are my hope,
my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
Psalm 71:4-5

22 But the Lord has become my stronghold,
and my God the rock of my refuge.
23 He will bring back on them their iniquity
and wipe them out for their wickedness;
the Lord our God will wipe them out.
Psalm 94:22-23

Rescue Me!

1 Kings 1 & 2 records some very interesting events that occurred at the very end of David's reign. Adonijah, the next eldest son of David after Absalom, raised a following with the intent of proclaiming himself king. Even though it was clear that God had appointed Solomon to be the next king of Israel, several men did follow Adonijah, including Joab, the former commander of David's army.

God will not be thwarted in His plans, however; the rebellion was short-lived and Solomon was anointed as the King of Israel. Solomon's reign was to be a peaceful reign, but first there were a few loose ends from David's reign to tie up. Three men still lived who had shown disloyalty to David during his reign. Joab had killed two righteous men, directly against the king's orders; Shimei had cursed David when he fled from Absalom; and Adonijah tried to seize the kingdom before the anointment of King Solomon.

In the Psalms we often read of the blessing of God upon the righteous, but we also read of God's righteous retribution against the wicked. In Psalm 71, the Psalmist cried,

4 Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked,
from the grasp of the unjust and cruel man.
5 For you, O Lord, are my hope,
my trust, O Lord, from my youth
.


As God was continually faithful to King David his entire life, God was also faithful in seeing all of David's enemies brought to justice. Two of the three men recorded above were not put to death until after the death of King David, but justice was served by the Lord God of Hosts.

This is a two-sided coin, so to speak, when we consider the implications to us today. For the righteous, though his entire life might be filled with sadness and grief at the hands of the wicked, God will deal righteously, bringing the wicked to justice. For the non-Christian who lives a life of unbelief, not caring or even believing that God will do anything about it, justice will be served and the unbeliever will be brought to justice by the Lord.

As a Christian, do not be swept away by the apathy of this world; God does reign eternally and true justice will come to pass. We are called to live a life faithful to God in obedience to His Word.
Even now, Christ is the true King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Amen, so shall it be!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: