Sunday, May 18, 2008

Refuge

May 18: Psalms 26, 40, 58, 61-61, & 64

8 O Lord, I love the habitation of your house
and the place where your glory dwells.
Psalm 26:8

16 But may all who seek you
rejoice and be glad in you;
may those who love your salvation
say continually, “Great is the Lord!”
17 As for me, I am poor and needy,
but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
do not delay, O my God!
Psalm 40:16-17

11 Mankind will say, “Surely there is a reward for the righteous;
surely there is a God who judges on earth.”
Psalm 58:11

Lead me to the rock
that is higher than I,
3 for you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the enemy.
Psalm 61:2b-3

7 On God rests my salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
Psalm 62:7

10 Let the righteous one rejoice in the Lord
and take refuge in him!
Let all the upright in heart exult!
Psalm 64:10

What does it mean when we say, God is my refuge. Look at the following three entries from Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary:

1 : shelter or protection from danger or distress
2 : a place that provides shelter or protection
3 : something to which one has recourse in difficulty

All three meanings are true of our God; truly He provides us with protection, He gives us a place of shelter, and, as Christians, we can always turn to Him in times of difficulty.

We look at David's life and we think, "How did he keep his sanity, how could he endure such trials from his youth to the end of his life?"

The Psalms today give us the answer;

Lead me to the rock
that is higher than I,
for you have been my refuge.


On God rests my salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.


Let the righteous one rejoice in the Lord
and take refuge in him!


When the circumstances of life seem impossible to bear; when we see nothing but troubles surrounding us, we have a Refuge. We are called to not live as others who have no hope, because we do have hope. Our hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ who saved us by His blood, and gave us access to God.

Amen! So shall it be!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: