Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Hiding Place

May 14: Psalms 32, 51, 86, & 122

5 I acknowledged my sin to you,
and I did not cover my iniquity;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,”
and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.

6 Therefore let everyone who is godly
offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found;
surely in the rush of great waters,
they shall not reach him.
7 You are a hiding place for me;
you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with shouts of deliverance.
Psalm 32:5-7

9 Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.
Psalm 51:9-12

11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
that I may walk in your truth;
unite my heart to fear your name.
12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
and I will glorify your name forever.
13 For great is your steadfast love toward me;
you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.
Psalm 86:11-13

A Hiding Place

The theme of these three Psalms is Forgiveness. We have just read the account of David's sin with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband, Uriah the Hittite. Psalm 51, which is a part of today's reading, was written after Nathan the prophet came before David and confronted him regarding this sin.

Again, much is revealed regarding the character of David as we read of his reaction to the confrontation from Nathan. David had already penned the words from Psalm 32:

You are a hiding place for me;
you preserve me from trouble
.


He was confident of his relationship with God, and knew that God forgives a sincere and contrite heart. That is where we find David in Psalm 51.

9 Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit
.


How do we react to our own sin? Do we find our selves defensive, self-righteous, or padding our sin with excuse after excuse as to why it is not our fault. Let us learn from David; when we realize our sin, let us fall before our Lord, as did David, beseeching God for forgiveness.

Truly God is a God filled with love and compassion, always ready to offer forgiveness to His children when they come before Him with a contrite heart.

What an amazing God we have!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: