Friday, May 16, 2008

He Will Sustain You

May 16: Psalms 3-4, 12-13, 28 & 55

8 Salvation belongs to the Lord;
your blessing be on your people!
Psalm 3:8

7 You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and wine abound.
8 In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:7-8

5 “Because the poor are plundered, because the needy groan,
I will now arise,” says the Lord;
“I will place him in the safety for which he longs.”
6 The words of the Lord are pure words,
like silver refined in a furnace on the ground,
purified seven times.
7 You, O Lord, will keep them;
you will guard us from this generation forever.
Psalm 12:5-7

7 The Lord is my strength and my shield;
in him my heart trusts, and I am helped;
my heart exults,
and with my song I give thanks to him.
8 The Lord is the strength of his people;
he is the saving refuge of his anointed.
Psalm 28:7-8

12 For it is not an enemy who taunts me—
then I could bear it;
it is not an adversary who deals insolently with me—
then I could hide from him.
13 But it is you, a man, my equal,
my companion, my familiar friend.
14 We used to take sweet counsel together;
within God's house we walked in the throng.

22 Cast your burden on the Lord,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
he righteous to be moved.
Psalm 55:12-14 & 22


He Will Sustain You

As trouble again creeps into David's life, this time from his own son, we again look to David, the Psalmist, to see how he handles this crisis.

We have all been in circumstances where trouble seems to surround us, and there is no one to comfort us. But then, in comes a friend who has battled the same problem, and suddenly their counsel is more than just mere platitudes.

Many years ago, I had a cousin who lost a child at six months; it was a horrible time for her. Many of us sent cards to express our concern and our prayers for her and her husband. But, when my sister, Patsy, who had lost her only son contacted her, she was touched by my Patsy's concern. My sister had already been through this; she truly understood what it was like.

Maybe that is one reason that the Psalms are so precious to us; even though David was a man after God's own heart, he seemed to be forever getting into serious troubles--this time from his own family.


Yet, though he was grieving the occasion, his faith in the Lord remained stolid. I find myself quoting Psalm 4:8 often.

In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

David never doubted God; he always understood that God, alone, was the source of his strength.

I close this devotion with the precious words of David from Psalm 55:22.

Cast your burden on the Lord,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
the righteous to be moved.

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: