Monday, May 12, 2008

God Has Listened

May 12: Psalms 65-67 & 69-70

4 Blessed is the one you choose and bring near,
to dwell in your courts!
We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house,
the holiness of your temple!
5 By awesome deeds you answer us with righteousness,

O God of our salvation,
the hope of all the ends of the earth
and of the farthest seas;
6 the one who by his strength established the mountains,
being girded with might;
7 who stills the roaring of the seas,
the roaring of their waves,
the tumult of the peoples,
8 so that those who dwell at the ends of the earth are in awe at your signs.
You make the going out of the morning and the evening to shout for joy.
Psalm 65:4-8

16 Come and hear, all you who fear God,
and I will tell what he has done for my soul.
17 I cried to him with my mouth,
and high praise was on my tongue.
18 If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened.
19 But truly God has listened;
he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
20 Blessed be God,

because he has not rejected my prayer
or removed his steadfast love from me!
Psalm 66:16-20

God Has Listened

The Psalms today are an interesting mix of the Christian praising God for His goodness and answers to prayer, and of the Christian crying out to God because it seems as though his prayers are not being heard. Sound familiar? Unfortunately, that all too often describes our Christian walk with the Lord.

I really needed encouragement today, so I chose to go with the former--hope you do not mind!

When life seems to engulf you with problems and situations you can not escape, it is a good time to look up to God. That is exactly what the Psalmist is doing in Psalm 65; he centers on the wonders of God's creation--take some time to walk today and enjoy the newness of spring, and the wonders of new flowers and blossoming trees. God's beauty is unsurpassed!

We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple! . . . the one who by his strength established the mountains, being girded with might; 7 who stills the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, the tumult of the peoples, 8 so that those who dwell at the ends of the earth are in awe at your signs. You make the going out of the morning and the evening to shout for joy.

But, the real key is found in Psalm 66:

19 But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my prayer. 20 Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed his steadfast love from me!

There it is! God has listened -- He has not removed His steadfast love from me!

That is the encouragement I needed today--I hope it encourages you as well.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: