Monday, May 05, 2008

Blessed Be God!

May 5: Psalms 1-2, 15, 22-24, 47 & 68

Our reading today consists of eight Psalms; rather than my normal format, I will include a small portion from each Psalm with some comments following each.

Blessed Be God!

5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
6 for the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.
Psalm 1:5-6

In our day of blurred distinctions, it is good to be reminded again that God sees only two classes of people: the wicked, and the righteous. The division is clear; the way of the wicked will perish, but the Lord knows the way of the righteous. We know that to be righteous is not a reason for pride, but rather one for humility; righteousness is a gift from God provided for us through the death of the Lord Jesus Christ.

10 Now therefore, O kings, be wise;
be warned, O rulers of the earth.
11 Serve the Lord with fear,
and rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the Son,
lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
Psalm 2:10-12

We hear much today of the love of God, which truly is pure and boundless. Psalm 2 reminds us that God, because He is without sin, is also a God of wrath, who takes no pleasure in the wicked. As God's people, then, we must, Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

1 O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent?
Who shall dwell on your holy hill?

2 He who walks blamelessly and does what is right
and speaks truth in his heart;
3 who does not slander with his tongue
and does no evil to his neighbor,
nor takes up a reproach against his friend;
4 in whose eyes a vile person is despised,
but who honors those who fear the Lord;
who swears to his own hurt and does not change;
5 who does not put out his money at interest
and does not take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things shall never be moved.
Psalm 15

Psalm 15, one of my favorite, speaks for itself; I am always humbled, knowing that only through the grace and power of God do I ever live in obedience to these words.

27 All the ends of the earth shall remember
and turn to the Lord,
and all the families of the nations
shall worship before you.
28 For kingship belongs to the Lord,
and he rules over the nations.
Psalm 22:27-28

As Christians, we must never forget, that we already know the end of the story. Kingship belongs to the Lord and He rules over the nations.

Amen, so let it be!

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3 He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.
Psalm 23

There is no way to shorten this beloved Psalm, so I refer you to my website, where I have already written a devotion on Psalm 23.

10 Who is this King of glory?
the Lord of hosts,
he is the King of glory!
Psalm 24:10

A theme seems to be emerging from these Psalms, does it not? The Lord of hosts, He is the King of glory!

6 Sing praises to God, sing praises!
Sing praises to our King, sing praises!
7 For God is the King of all the earth;
sing praises with a psalm!
Psalm 47

Why do you think that God reminds us time after time that He is the King of all the earth? It is in our very nature to live our daily lives entrenched in the things of the world, ignoring our true King. He is our King, even when we are cleaning the house or doing the dishes!

32 O kingdoms of the earth, sing to God;
sing praises to the Lord, Selah
33 to him who rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens;
behold, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice.
34 Ascribe power to God,
whose majesty is over Israel,
and whose power is in the skies.
35 Awesome is God from his sanctuary;
the God of Israel—he is the one who gives power and strength to his people.
Blessed be God!
Psalm 68:32-35

Just take a moment to sing praises to God, whose majesty is over Israel, and whose power is in the skies. He is our God, our Hope, and our Joy! He is the One who gives power and strength to His people.

Blessed be God!

Amen.

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: