Wednesday, April 16, 2008

You Know My Way!

April 16: Psalms 56, 120, & 140-142

1 Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me;
all day long an attacker oppresses me;
2 my enemies trample on me all day long,
for many attack me proudly.
3 When I am afraid,
I put my trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can flesh do to me?
Psalm 56:1-4

1 In my distress I called to the Lord,
and he answered me.
2 Deliver me, O Lord,from lying lips,
from a deceitful tongue.
Psalm 120:1-2

6 I say to the Lord, You are my God;
give ear to the voice of my pleas for mercy, O Lord!
7 O Lord, my Lord, the strength of my salvation,
you have covered my head in the day of battle.
Psalm 140:6-7

8 But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord;
in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless!
9 Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me
and from the snares of evildoers!
Psalm 141:8-9

3 When my spirit faints within me,
you know my way!
Psalm 142:3


You Know My Way!

Why do we Christians have such a great love for the Psalms? The Psalms are a great comfort to us because they provide real solutions for real problems in life, and they remind us of the great faithfulness of our God and King.

David was a hunted man with few friends and no place to go, yet he was never totally without hope. Why was that?

The five Psalms in today's reading have a common thread woven throughout them, showing us a man who went to God with his troubles and had great confidence that God would take care of him.

Look at David's pleas to God in the Psalms above:

* Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me.
* Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips, from a deceitful tongue.
* Give ear to the voice of my pleas for mercy, O Lord!
* Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me and from the snares of evildoers!

Now, look at the confidence David has in the Lord:

* When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
* In God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?
* O Lord, my Lord, the strength of my salvation, you have covered my head in the day of battle.
* When my spirit faints within me, you know my way!

What a wonderful example God has given to us by revealing the very character of David through the beautiful Psalms he has written to the glory of God--Psalms that still quiet our hearts and draw us nearer to our Lord and Savior.

I am really enjoying going through the Bible chronologically, reading these Psalms in the order they were probably written, and understanding the events surrounding David's cries to the Lord. They give to us an added dimension to understanding the great depths and riches found within their comforting words.

Praise God that today we can still cry out to God, as did David, "You Know My Way!" Ponder that as you go about the duties of this day!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scripture is from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: