Sunday, April 20, 2008

Source of Strength

April 20: Psalms 121, 123-125, & 128-130

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
2 My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2

1 To you I lift up my eyes,
O you who are enthroned in the heavens!
Psalm 123:1

8 Our help is in the name of the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 124:8

1 Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,
which cannot be moved, but abides forever.
2 As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the Lord surrounds his people,
from this time forth and forevermore.
Psalm 125:1-2

1 Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord,
who walks in his ways!
2 You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands;
you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.
Psalm 128:1-2

4 The Lord is righteous;
he has cut the cords of the wicked.
Psalm 129:4

5 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I hope;
6 my soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen for the morning.
Psalm 130:5-6a

Source of Strength

What was the true Source of Strength for David? The portions of the Psalms shown above reveal so much about David's character, and how he was able to endure years of persecution, sometimes at the hand of his own family.

Not once in the Psalms shown above does David give glory to himself for his own strength and prowess; instead each Psalm points to the Lord. Look at some of the phrases he uses:

* My help comes from the Lord.
* To you I lift up my eyes, O you who are enthroned in the heavens!
* Our help is in the name of the Lord.
* Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion.
* Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord.
* The Lord is righteous; he has cut the cords of the wicked.
* I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope.

What is the source of your strength? Where do you go first when trouble strikes? Are you more offended when people dare to speak against you, or that they are really speaking against God? How quick are you to lash out against those who dare to oppose you?

If you were to compose your own Psalm, what would you say?

These are sobering questions, which most of us fail daily. Pray today that your faith would be renewed and that you would cling to the true Source of Strength, as did David.

God Bless You,
Linda

I have written devotions for each of the Psalms which appear on my Devotional Reflections from the Bible web site; the Psalms shown above are in the Psalms Devotions 5 section.

All Scripture is from the English Standard Version of the Bible.


No comments: