Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pleasing Meditation

April 30: Psalms 102-104

6 I am like a desert owl of the wilderness,
like an owl of the waste places;
7 I lie awake;
I am like a lonely sparrow on the housetop.
Psalm 102:6-7

10 He does not deal with us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
13 As a father shows compassion to his children,
so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
14 For he knows our frame;
he remembers that we are dust.
Psalm 103:10-14

31 May the glory of the Lord endure forever;
may the Lord rejoice in his works,
32 who looks on the earth and it trembles,
who touches the mountains and they smoke!
33 I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,
for I rejoice in the Lord.
35 Let sinners be consumed from the earth,
and let the wicked be no more!
Bless the Lord, O my soul!
Praise the Lord!
Psalm 104:31-35

Pleasing Meditation

As I read through these three Psalms today, I did not necessarily see a common thread, so I decided to pull a thought from each Psalm. Then, when I looked at the end result shown above, I realized that there is a remarkable progression from being in despair of one's life to giving praise to the Lord. The Psalms, written so long ago, are amazingly relevant to our daily lives.

It is not hard to identify with Psalm 104, is it not? How often do we feel alone in our own little world--no one understands us or can comprehend our troubles? Though we know that, as Christians, we should not worry, it is so much a part of our nature that we often find ourselves at exactly the same point as the Psalmist.

David expresses thoughts in Psalm 103 that we often forget, and yet, if we are truly to understand our relationship to the Lord, we should ponder who we really are and what we really deserve. Do we really deserve the grace God grants to His children? How could we ever approach God apart from the removal of our sins through Christ?

11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.

Does the east ever meet the west? That is how far He has moved our sins from us. Now there is a pleasing meditation for this day! Our only response is found in Psalm 104,

33 I will sing to the Lord as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have being.
34 May my meditation be pleasing to him,
for I rejoice in the Lord. . . .


35 . . . Bless the Lord, O my soul!
Praise the Lord!


This makes me think of a phrase in a familiar song,

But when I sing salvation's story,
they will fold their wings.
For angels never felt the joy,
that our salvation brings.

Amen, so let it be.

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scripture is from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: