Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Will Remember

April 26: Psalms 73 & 77-78

21 When my soul was embittered,
when I was pricked in heart,
22 I was brutish and ignorant;
I was like a beast toward you.

23 Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:21-26

7 “Will the Lord spurn forever
,and never again be favorable?
8 Has his steadfast love forever ceased?
Are his promises at an end for all time?
9 Has God forgotten to be gracious?
Has he in anger shut up his compassion?” Selah

10 Then I said, “I will appeal to this,
to the years of the right hand of the Most High.”

11 I will remember the deeds of the Lord;
yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
12 I will ponder all your work,
and meditate on your mighty deeds.
13 Your way, O God, is holy.
What god is great like our God?
Psalm 77:7-13

67 He rejected the tent of Joseph;
he did not choose the tribe of Ephraim,
68 but he chose the tribe of Judah,
Mount Zion, which he loves.
69 He built his sanctuary like the high heavens,
like the earth, which he has founded forever.
70 He chose David his servant
and took him from the sheepfolds;
71 from following the nursing ewes he brought him
to shepherd Jacob his people,Israel his inheritance.
72 With upright heart he shepherded them
and guided them with his skillful hand.
Psalm 78:67-72

I Will Remember

What will you remember? When the world seems to come crashing down around you and God is nowhere to be found, what will you remember?


That is exactly where we find the Psalmist in today's reading. It is easy sometimes to look around us and say, why do the wicked have it so easy? They are not troubled by their sins, and the world just flocks around them. That is what Asaph questioned in Psalm 73; it is in this Psalm where he writes those beautiful words,


16 But when I thought how to understand this,
it seemed to me a wearisome task,
17 until I went into the sanctuary of God;
then I discerned their end.

Psalm 78 recounts the dismal history of the Israelites from the time they left Egypt until the time of David. Time after time they seek God, and then fall away, a pattern which, unfortunately, we see repeated all too often in our day. This Psalm ends with,


70 He chose David his servant
and took him from the sheepfolds;
71 from following the nursing ewes he brought him
to shepherd Jacob his people,Israel his inheritance.
72 With upright heart he shepherded them
and guided them with his skillful hand
.


There it is again, David, the shepherd boy, was chosen to lead the Israelites; with upright heart he shepherded them and guided them with his skillful hand.


It always comes back to the heart, does it not? How do we resist the temptations of the world? How do we remember the deeds of the Lord in the midst of our difficulties? It comes down to the heart? Being a Christian is not an outward experience, though outwardly we do change. No, Christianity is an inward experience of the heart. Only Christ can change our hearts through the blood He shed on the cross. Only He can bring peace between us and a holy, righteous God.


What about you? Are you entangled in the world, filled with bitterness toward those around you? Turn to Christ! Then you, too, may say with the Psalmist, Asaph, I Will Remember!

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: