Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Sought the Lord

April 15: Psalms 7, 27, 31, 34, & 52

1 I will bless the Lord at all times;
his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
2 My soul makes its boast in the Lord;
let the humble hear and be glad.
3 Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
and let us exalt his name together!

4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him
and saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the Lord encamps
around those who fear him, and delivers them.

8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
9 Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
Psalm 34:1-9, English Standard Version

I Sought the Lord

Where do you run? Where do you run when there are enemies all around you? That is where David found himself when fleeing from King Saul. Even in the camp of the enemies, there was no refuge!

Have you ever been there? Have your circumstances ever so overwhelmed you that there seemed to be no possible way out? How did David handle this seemingly impossible situation?

In Psalm 34, David praised the the Lord (verse 1),

1 I will bless the Lord at all times;
his praise shall continually be in my mouth
.


He sought the help of the Lord (verses 4-6),

4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
5 Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him
and saved him out of all his troubles
.


And he proclaimed the faithfulness of God to those around him (verses 8-9).

8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
9 Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!


David was not perfect, (the Bible records his sins as well as his faithfulness to God), but he definitely knew where to turn when he was in trouble. Do we?

Where do you turn when you are in trouble? When people offer to help, they often say, "I'll pray for you," thinking that isn't much help, but at least it is something. That is so not true! The first and most important thing you need are the prayers of God's people!

That was exactly the point that James was making in James 5:16,

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. KJV

Do not ever feel that you do not have the ability to help those in need; they need your prayers to God on their behalf more than anything else.

I pray for you, my readers, that God would be faithful to you, and that you can say as did David, I sought the Lord, and He answered me.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: