Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Boy Samuel

April 8: 1 Samuel 1-3

18 Samuel was ministering before the Lord, a boy clothed with a linen ephod.

26 Now the young man Samuel continued to grow both in stature and in favor with the Lord and also with man.
1 Samuel 2:18 & 26

4 Then the Lord called Samuel, and he said, “Here I am!” 5 and ran to Eli and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” But he said, “I did not call; lie down again.” So he went and lay down.

6 And the Lord called again, “Samuel!” and Samuel arose and went to Eli and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” But he said, “I did not call, my son; lie down again.” 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, and the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him.

8 And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” Then Eli perceived that the Lord was calling the young man.

9 Therefore Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down, and if he calls you, you shall say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant hears.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

10 And the Lord came and stood, calling as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant hears.” 11 Then the Lord said to Samuel, “Behold, I am about to do a thing in Israel at which the two ears of everyone who hears it will tingle.

19 And Samuel grew, and the Lord was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground.

20 And all Israel from Dan to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established as a prophet of the Lord. 21 And the Lord appeared again at Shiloh, for the Lord revealed himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the Lord.
1 Samuel 3:4-11 & 19-20

The Boy Samuel

As we begin to go through the book of 1 Samuel I have chosen to focus this devotion on the boy Samuel. Please take the time, however, to read the 1st two chapters of the book of 1 Samuel which cover the beautiful story of Samuel's mother, Hannah. I would encourage you also to read my devotional entitled Hannah of the Bible from my website, Devotional Reflections from the Bible.

Samuel was a special boy; his mother had taken him to the Eli the priest and gave him to the Lord because God answered her prayer for children. God not only blessed Hannah with more children, but he also blessed her with a Godly son who would serve the Lord for his entire life.

While still a child, the Lord called to Samuel during the night; thinking it was Eli calling, he ran to Eli to see what he wanted. After the third time, Eli realized that it was the Lord who was calling to Samuel, and instructed him to answer the Lord, "Speak, Lord, for your servant hears."

The message from the Lord to Samuel was a somber one; God would remove the house of Eli from serving Him because of the sins of Eli's sons, and would replace Eli with Samuel.

God was issuing in a time of blessing for Israel when He would again speak to the nation through his servant, Samuel.

20 And all Israel from Dan to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established as a prophet of the Lord. 21 And the Lord appeared again at Shiloh, for the Lord revealed himself to Samuel at Shiloh by the word of the Lord.

No child is too young for service to the Lord. Do you remember the words of the Lord from Mark 10:13-15?

13 And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. 14But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 15 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

Never think that your children or grandchildren are too young to grasp the truths of the Bible. Also, do not negate the importance and effects of a mother's prayers.

That is a great encouragement to me; even though my children were raised to follow the Lord, some of them do not. I am so encouraged by the prayers of Hannah and God's answer in the life of the boy Samuel. I am reminded again to never stop praying for the salvation of my children.

God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: