Friday, April 18, 2008

Apple of Your Eye

April 18: Psalms 17, 35, 54, & 63

6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me; hear my words.

8 Keep me as the apple of your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings.

15 As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness;
when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.
Psalm 17:6, 8, & 15

27 . . . “Great is the Lord,
who delights in the welfare of his servant!”
Psalm 35:27b

4 Behold, God is my helper;
the Lord is the upholder of my life.

6 . . . I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.
Psalm 54:4 & 6b

2 So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
3 Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
4 So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands.
Psalm 63:2-4

Apple of Your Eye

Imagine that, we believers are the apple of God's eye! David certainly understood his place in God's eyes. As we read through each of the Psalms in today's reading, one thing is certain, no matter how bleak the situation, as David cried out to God for help, he never lost confidence in his standing in the sight of God.

Look at all of the positive assertions he made in the portions of the Psalms shown above.

* You will answer me, O God.
* I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.
* Great is the Lord, who delights in the welfare of his servant.
* Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life.

Remember, these were written by David during some of the darkest moments of his life. Saul was constantly seeking his life, he did not even know who his enemies were, and he had no place to flee.

What do we think of God when we we are utterly surrounded by the circumstances of this life with no place to go? Does our confidence hold strong and true as did David's, or are we prone to doubt God? Are we able to say with David, "I am the apple of Your eye!"

Ponder that today as the circumstances of life unfold before you. Pray that God will give you a peace and confidence that no matter what happens, God will be there for you.

And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7
God Bless You,
Linda

All Scriptures are from the English Standard Version of the Bible.

No comments: