Monday, November 19, 2007

Perfect in Weakness

7And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10, King James Version

Perfect in Weakness

Much of what we know about actually living the Christian life to the glory of God, comes from the Apostle Paul. I think the passage written above by Paul in 2 Corinthians is one of the most precious Bible passages for the Christian. How can we, in our weakness, ever do much to glorify God and advance His kingdom?

Paul, a person much like us, had his own affliction to deal with. Though we are never told exactly what that affliction was, we know it was grievous to Paul. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.

How did Paul respond to God answering his prayer by not removing the affliction?

Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

That is the true sign of Christian maturity; I know I have a long way to go to be so content in Christ that I glory in my physical weakness and pain. Having a proper focus on the real meaning of life will, I know, help me to come closer to understanding Paul.

God has given us many wonderful things to enjoy, but those things are not what bring us peace, happiness, and joy. Don't look to others or to things to bring what only Christ can bring to you. As Christians, we are on this earth for one purpose, and one purpose alone: to bring glory to God and be a testimony for Him.

Praise God that He did not cast us aside, as He so easily could, because of our sin, but rather, He provided a way for us to fellowship with Him through the shedding of the blood of His only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Praise God for our afflictions; may those very afflictions be the things that drive us to Christ!

For My strength is made perfect in weakness.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: