Thursday, November 29, 2007

Faith of Job

25For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Job 19:25-27, King James Version

Have you noticed that we rarely think of the faith of Job? Job is usually associated with patience. As I thought of this passage, I realized that only a man of faith could proclaim the words shown above.

We are first introduced to Job in chapter one with the words: There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

Verses 2 and 3 of chapter one continue: And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters. His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.

If you are familiar with the story, you know that Satan came before God and desired to test Job. After given permission by God, Satan caused all seven of Job's children to die, destroyed Job's health (he had boils all over his body), and destroyed everything he had.

After all of this as well as the constant badgering of his three "friends," Job still declared the words shown above. His eyes are focused on heaven above and not on the things of this earth.

What lesson can we take away from this? In this fast paced world we are often overcome by the busyness of life. Often we feel torn on all sides by our families, friends, and coworkers. In the midst of this we are sometimes called to face the death of family or loved ones, our own illnesses, and offences thrown at us from those around us.

Pray, today, that at times like this you will exhibit the faith of Job and cry out with him:

For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me. Amen.

God Bless You,
Linda

No comments: